Friday, November 15, 2019

Week 13, Deadline 1: Complete Draft

→ Link to my DCP ←

  • Audience - Pet owners.
  • Message - Spaying and neutering your pets can save their lives.
  • Call-to-Action - Spay and neuter your pet as soon as they're old enough or after you've finished breeding them to give them a healthier, longer life. 

Design Principles:

Some of the design principles that have guided my development of my DCP include color, alignment, highlighting, readability, cognitive dissonance, and aesthetic usability effect. In addition to the information that I've presented with credible resources to back it up, I believe having a polished web presence will add to the credibility of the information I'm trying to pass on. Most importantly, a lot of the topics I discuss are medically related and it is difficult for me to (having grown up in a family of nurses and going onto become a vet tech) realize what is not a common knowledge term and what is medical jargon sometimes - this is where readability is the most important objective for me. 

I'd like to call my DCP a 100% draft, but realistically I'm going to make changes to it. I could call this a final draft and I probably wouldn't get the grade I want from it, and with the feedback I'll receive I can revise it to be better. For now I would call it a 99.9% draft because nothing is ever perfect because there is always room for improvement. 


Questions:
  1. What can I improve?
  2. Does the information seem readable? Are the topics or terms explained enough for them to be understood?
  3. Does my layout make sense?
  4. Is there another topic I should touch on more?
  5. Does the design and color palette chosen seem professional?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michelle,
I love your entry point, the first picture of the cat with its tongue out is really eye catching (and cute)! Your layout is organized & professional, the information is very readable and it flows very well. I really enjoyed clicking through and reading all the different pages, the images you chose really compliment your information.

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle,

Your project is really well done- your design choices are really consistent and you present your information really well. I am not well versed in veterinary issues or terms and I can follow everything you're saying, but at the same time you're not talking down to me either. I was able to click on the first box at the bottom and it took me to your cancer information, but the other three didn't work. I was able to get to the information using the menu at the top though. I know this is asking a lot lol, but maybe you could add music to your narrative section (I kept thinking of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow)... I think Wix has that option and with the right song it could really dial up the emotional appeal. Thanks for sharing and good luck with your final version!

Meghan

Hannah's Multimedia Writing Class Blog said...

Hi Michelle,

Great job on this! I thought it looked very professional yet not drab. I don't think the writing is too much, mostly because this is the type of site that one would visit to become informed on this particular matter. You really achieved the goal of coming across as an authority on the matter.

No notes! Good work.

Monty Sylvan said...

Hi Michelle,
This is a great job, I love the presentation and it is all well executed. The use of color, spacing, and wording is all great. I really dont have any substantial feedback for your site because I like it so much. This is essentially worth publishing for the public. Great work.

Anonymous said...

Michelle,

You did a great job with your DCP and I don't see any mistakes on your end. I think your layout is good and your colors, font and wording flow very well together! Great job overall on this project!

Catherine Gouge said...

Hi, Michelle--

Your draft looks great. Now that your classmates have had a a chance to share their feedback with you, I'll address the questions you ask to let you know my impressions.

What can I improve? Does the information seem readable? Are the topics or terms explained enough for them to be understood? Does my layout make sense? Is there another topic I should touch on more? Does the design and color palette chosen seem professional?

I think what you have works well. The information is readable and the topics are understandable. The design and color palette are effective for the tone of your message and help balance out the difficulty of some of the content. I can't think of other topics for you to focus on.

A couple things to tweak/think about:

1. The alignment of the text on your first view appears to be center justified, which doesn't align with either the image to the right or the left side of the screen. Either would be easier to read and look more professional.

2. Reread all of your text carefully and make sure you have commas, etc. where they should be. There were not a lot of errors that I could see, but there were some instances where you were missing a comma after introductory phrases. For example, in the following: "By removing these hormones it can decrease roaming and aggression but will not change their fundamental personalities such as protective instinct." There should be a comma before "it." Give it a close read to make sure to catch anything at the sentence-level you are capable of finding.

3. You have a couple spacing issues where a word has bumped onto the next line (it look, in error). For example, under "Increased longevity" the word "significant" appears as though it could fit on the line above.

4. As far as contents/structure goes, Your site does appear informational--something hat would be great for a veterinarian's office. However, it is somewhat less than an engaging and compelling "experience" and more of a "browsing" experience, as you invite readers to do initially. One idea is that you might think about ways to engage with your audience through questions they answer by clicking and winding through something--anything that will engage them more and guide them through a persuasive experience that is unique and compelling.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with for your final version. Good luck!

Dr. Gouge

Critical Reflection for Digital Curation Project

Spay and Neuter Choosing a topic for my digital curation project was not a simple task and I mulled it over for several days befo...